Friday, January 16, 2009

People Ask Me......

You would be amazed (truly amazed) if I told you the questions people ask me. And not in a good way. If you haven't figured it out already, I am not shy about sharing the details of my infertility or my journey to adoption. I am willing to discuss almost anything, and with most people I do. But the funny thing is, the most frighteningly inappropriate and rude (not to mention insensitive) questions come from people I don't know. How do I handle it? The answer to that is not well at first---not well at all. But over the past three years I have gotten much better and politely putting these people politely in their place and suggesting that perhaps there is a better way to ask such a question----or perhaps that such a question need not be asked of all. After all, how would they feel if I asked such a question about their child?

The most frequently asked question (or at least I would like to believe that it is) is this: How did it feel the first time you held Jake?

And I believe that my answer is universal. I believe that my answer is what every mother, no matter how her child comes into this world, says.

My answer is simple. I was complete. I was finally a mother.

Love much,
xob

No comments: