Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Infertility.....The gift that keeps on giving

Happy New Year!
January is the time for new beginnings and starting over.
I remember back during IVF hell (I believe it was New Years Eve 2003) my husband and I went to a neighborhood party and left before midnight because we just weren’t “feeling it”. I went to bed thinking that when I woke up it would be a new year and all this infertility crap would be behind me. I was convinced that with a little positive thinking 2004 would be different as I closed my eyes and drifted into a blissful sleep. I woke up in the middle of the night to the sound of my little dog Bitsy throwing up on my pillow and in my hair. I looked at the clock and it was 4:37am ---Happy 2004! This pretty much sums up my 2004.

2009 is hopefully going to be a great year. I don’t know about you but 2008 kicked my ass (sorry). In February 2008, after much thought I decided to stop working as a publicist to focus 100% of my time (pro-bono) on the non-profit my husband and I started called Helpsuadopt.org---it’s a financial grant program that helps people with the costs of their adoptions. It was a very difficult decision but we both felt it was time. Three weeks later my husband became one of the first casualties of the financial world and lost his job (thank you Bear Stearns), and we were 9 months into our 2nd adoption with no match in sight. It was mildly unpleasant to say the least. Long story short----my husband is once again gainfully employed (a true blessing) and I am no longer a retired publicist. We have blown through a good portion of our savings (once again) just treading water, and we were scheduled to adopt a baby in early December but three weeks before the due date we experienced a failed adoption. Now we are 18 months into this 2nd adoption with no match in sight. But one thing I’ve learned in the past 7 years is this: Life doesn’t always take you where you think you should be going instead life shows you a direction you should have found for yourself.

I do believe that 2009 holds much promise.
Love much---xob

4 comments:

Rachel G said...

What can make an adoption "fail" i.e. you refer to a "failed adoption." Did someone change their mind?

Karin Katherine said...

I'm grateful for your blog. How else would I know my dear friends experienced a failed adoption in December? I won't say all the well meaning comforting things I want to say because a.) you already know them and b.) I know it doesn't mean crap when your arms are aching for another.

Anonymous said...

Blood is thicker than water, but love is thicker than blood. I happened across your blog by accident; I truly hope that 2009 is your year.

Homesteading said...

I happened upon you by accident as well. I also wish you a much better year this year.
We are adopting four right now. Have you ever considered adopting an older child? I didn't, but know that we have I am so grateful we did. Just a thought:)