Tuesday, January 13, 2009

My Linebacker.....


New Years
Resolutions.
I don’t do them in January like the rest of the world (big surprise).
I give myself marching orders throughout the year whenever I have one of my brilliant ideas on how I can somehow change and or fix my life. When most people settle into routine I will announce that I am off to change mine---my friends and family expect it and are somewhat amused. So when the majority of the world headed off to the gym to join and to get into shape a few weeks ago, I headed back to the gym---back to my Notre Dame linebacker.

Last year (March 08) I took a long hard look in the mirror (in my bra and underwear) and I just didn’t like what I saw (think big giant pear). I was almost 38 and figured with 40 looming the situation wasn’t going to get any better on its own. So I gave myself an early birthday present and went in search of a trainer. A trainer who might be able to resolve my “issues”.

I wanted someone who would not judge me for being the punch line of a joke - a somewhat skinny, blonde, Upper East Side publicist. I needed a trainer who was not afraid to push me, even when I thought I could not finish an exercise. I wanted someone who was affordable, to focus on changing my body, as long as I put in the work. I diligently did my homework and tracked down what I considered to be an “urban legend” right here in New York City. Ultimately, I found more than I ever bargained for in a trainer—I found my linebacker! Jeremy Sample, a former starting linebacker from the University of Notre Dame. I may not know much about football (ok I know nothing), but I knew what a “starting linebacker and Notre Dame Football” meant. It meant this guy was a serious, disciplined athlete and he had guts. (check him out: http://www.jeremysample.com/)

I made the appointment. Jeremy set the tone of our first session by sternly saying “I’m going to work you hard. You might not enjoy it. I am not the trainer for everyone.” I think he was hoping that I would leave at that point. Which is why I had to prove him wrong. But he then said, “Tell me about your goals and your diet.” And I had a mild stroke --- you mean the box of Cheez -Its and Diet Coke I had for dinner last night? I decided not to immediately share that information with Jeremy and instead told him I was ready to get started.

After our first session, which ended 10 minutes early, I almost threw up and could barely walk home. I showed up two days later for round 2 (I think he was shocked). I made it through the entire 50 minutes and again, almost threw up. The second week was not much better, but there was no way I was going to let this guy get the best of me. Within the month, I was holding my own. This was when the change in diet happened. I had to give him 10 weeks of no salt, sugar, white flour, alcohol and not eating after 8pm. He wanted me to eat every three hours and told me if I was ever really hungry, I was doing something wrong. I was getting exactly what I had asked for in a trainer.

I made a promise to myself and I needed to see if this “linebacker” was worth it. I had 10 weeks and changing how I ate was challenging. However, it got easier as the pounds started to disappear. 10 weeks later, I proudly stood before Jeremy transformed. I lost 15 lbs and 5% of my body fat. I did not realize I had that much on me to lose to be quite honest with you. I lost the majority of inches around my hips and thighs (thanks to my mother), which caused me to drop down two jean sizes. I am stronger, more fit and faster than I have ever been. And best of all ---I am not starving all the time.

So I continue to head to the gym this January (a luxury I’ve cut back to just once a week) to see my linebacker. I hope that if I continue to push myself beyond my physical limitations at the gym it will become the hardest thing I do in a day. I can’t say that my “wish” has come true yet but I will say I am ready for the fight.

Love much,

xob

No comments: