Friday, January 9, 2009

The B Word.....

It’s been a hard few months for this self-professed fashionista here in NYC. NYC is not the easiest place to live on a budget period. And if you are a slave to fashion it can be downright torturous at times. I have been on-- dare I say it-- a budget for months (thank you Bear Stears) but recently my husband suggested that we take it to a new level. I have gone cold turkey---bare bones spending---and that wasn’t easy especially during Christmas ---a time when I usually go overboard. But I can honestly say that I am hardly suffering----just getting a little more creative. And I hate to admit it but I now see how frivolous I’ve been in the past few years----I’m a little embarrassed but I can’t undo the past. So Frugal Fanny Fawcett has started doing some things that have made her friends gasp! I’ve started cooking on a regular basis (that involved learning how to). I’ve stopped going out every Saturday night to the hippest coolest newest restaurant. I’ve stopped my frequent shoe and bag indulgences. I’ve stopped drinking Starbucks three times a day. I am recycling what’s in my closet and shopping on sale. Our vacation this year will be at my parent’s house this summer in Philadelphia (don’t tell them I want it to be a surprise) and I am walking my own dogs during the work day! Don’t laugh and don’t judge. The prospect of leaving NYC to move in with my parents didn’t thrill me (or them for that matter). Like everyone else I had to sit down and figure out what I could and couldn’t live without until things turn around---which they will----and what’s funny is that maybe just maybe this blonde will come out of it with a little more sensibility. Helpusadopt.org is my passion and I don’t want to see my contribution dwindle in 2009 because I had no self-restraint.
Love much, xob

2 comments:

Kim said...

You made me laugh because I am also trying to live on that horrible b word. Learning to cook (after years of picking up monthly prepeared meal) learning to save coupons - I have even been walking around with a watch that doesnt work because I cant justify the cost to fix it (someone could buy 4watches with what Cartier charges to fix it!) Keep writing I am enjoying your posts. Hugs and kisses - Kim

Karin Katherine said...

I am REALLY struggling with the B word right now since we have the misfortune of trying to build our dream house in the worst economic crisis America has seen in awhile. I know those who have been on a budget their whole lives feel ZERO sympathy for people like us. But I'm not asking for sympathy. I'm asking for tips man!