Friday, March 27, 2009

The Risk....nothing compares

I have racked my brain for months.

And I can't come up with anything comparable.

NOTHING compares to the financial risk adoptive parents assume when they build their families.

While statistics say that an average adoption costs $25,000 ---most (domestic & international) run in the $30,000 - $50,000 range ---please keep in mind this includes everything ---even travel.

And there's no guarantee......we all sign paperwork releasing anyone and everyone of any financial responsibility if the adoption does not finalize.

No one wants to take on this assumed financial risk. Who would?

But adoptive parents have to take it on---otherwise we can't build our families.

I do not object to the cost of adoption as I understand that many different service providers are needed to make adoptions happen.

I am in awe of and grateful to the group of honest and hardworking service providers who work tirelessly day in and out to help adoptive parents build their families.

But I have to question the safety net?

Why isn't there one?

Love much,
xob

1 comment:

Bri said...

Some agencies actually charge a flat fee. Typically wait times are a bit longer but there is security! Give and take, I guess.