Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Bad Word List

When I was growing up we had "the bad word list" in our house.

Every time someone said "a bad word" you had to put 25 cents in the jar.

Quickly I learned that 25 cents was no big deal---and so did my parents---so the fine was increased to $1.

That quickly became a big deal.

My siblings (all younger) were not pleased with me, but since I seemed to be the only one to get caught they lost interest.

My brothers spent their days creating "code words" to use instead of curse words---no one seemed to catch on to that--I still got caught and blamed for leading a bad example.

I think I single handedly paid for my parent's European vacation.

When they realized that the "fines" were not doing the trick the jar disappeared.

I am sure there were more significant punishments at that point but I have blocked them from my memory.

Fast forward to my adult life......

If I had put a dollar in a jar for every swear word I've ever used in the last 20 years I would be a RICH woman in this recession!

I've never been able to break this bad habit----although (let's face it)I haven't really ever tried that hard--ok at all.

And it really is an unattractive habit.

But now.......

Now I have a little boy.

And that little boy tells me "stupid isn't nice."

And he's right.

And that little boy tells me not to say "S***" and he's absolutely right.

And now we have the "bad word list" in my house again.

And we have the jar......funny thing is.....I'm the only one putting money in it again.

Some things never change....but this time they have to.

Love much,
xob

No comments: