Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Adjusting to suburban life......

It's Jake's spring break so we are spending the week at my parent's house outside Philadelphia.

It's a mix of business and pleasure for me.

And believe it or not, eventhough I lived here for 36 years it's an adjustment to come back to suburban living.

1. I have become very used to living in a four room apartment on one floor. Just getting my suitcase upstairs to my room nearly killed me. Never mind the fact that Iam constantly leaving my cell phone somwhere in the house and have to call it and go searching.

2. Grocery shopping in the suburbs is a dream! The stores are gigantic as compared to NYC and the selection is just amazing. Not to mention that the kids carts are like amusement park rides. Jake loves it. Not only does he have a steering wheel but there's a tv with cartoons for him to watch too. And the nice thing is that my old phone number still works as my "frequent shopper" number. The receipt prints out for Becky Fawcett and I saved $17.65 the other day---very exciting. That just doens't happen in NYC. EVER.

3. Suburban Driving. This might be the hardest adjustment. Yesterday I was out of the house from 10am - 6pm and only had three meetings and I was late every step of the way. I forgot how long it takes to get everywhere when you are driving. And the traffic----on my way to my first meeting I was stuck behind someone who apparently thought it was a good idea to drive 15 mph in a 35 mph zone. I could have walked there faster.

4. The sleeping issue is a problem. IT'S TOO QUIET!!!!!! All I hear as I try to fall asleep each night is Miss Bitz snoring. I need to get a noise machine. Do they make one with traffic and sirens?????

But all in all I am happy to be home for the week. This area outside of Philadelphia is beautiful and it is so nice to see my family and all my friends because I miss them. I may not tell them often enough but I do.

Love much,
xob

No comments: