Thursday, February 19, 2009

Candyland……and My Friend L

My friend L lived in the house across from us in our old suburban neighborhood.

It still breaks my heart to think that it was just by chance that we ever met. What if she hadn’t moved in?

L and I became friends years before Jake arrived.

One of the most important things that you need to know about L is that she always had a fully stocked snack closet----yes closet---and it included a vast assortment of candy!

Not a cabinet.

Not a drawer.

But a closet.

We lived in a “Beaver Cleaver” neighborhood so I would usually find L’s back door open and would just walk in and make myself at home. I’d grab a perfectly chilled Diet Coke from the fridge and then see what treats awaited me in the snack closet.

And then of course I would call out to L to let her know I was there.

We’d hang out, talk, drink Diet Coke and eat Diet M&Ms (L’s secret code for peanut) ---

We used to have lunch together most weekdays and would email each other at 9:45 am wondering if it was too early to dive in.

There were frequent nights when I would look out the window to see if L’s lights were still on, call on the phone to check in and then run across the street in my pajamas to the snack closet for a fix.

God I miss those days.

When I moved to NYC L. gave me a monogrammed “snack bag” filled with treats.

Because she said my new neighbors might not have a snack closet.

It made me cry.

L has been known to suck the cream filling out of a Hostess cupcake with a straw……

This might be an urban legend that we just joke about……

I can’t even remember if she actually did it---but the fact is I wouldn’t put it past her!

L laughs at me for my new found health routine---no salt, no sugar and EXERCISE.

L calls me from the candy aisle in the grocery store just to check in.

L dreams of the day that Dunkin Donuts delivers to her house.

And the funniest thing is that L has the most amazing metabolism------you’d never guess she’s the original junk food junkie—she’s a perfect size 4!

So as I pack my bags for a visit to L’s house this weekend I know that I have to swing by CRUMBS for a dozen cupcakes.

Am pretty sure I would not be allowed in without them.

And I find myself dreaming of her snack closet (that has tripled in size since she moved) and the fact that I will be having cupcakes for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Love much,
xob

No comments: